Parents often have ideas about how to raise their kids but at what point do you think they think ‘let the pieces fall where they may’?

My #1 goal is for my children to be independent thinkers. My teaching involves process more than anything. They'll be who they were meant to be, not who I turn them into.

• Archer

Not often if they are a good parent. Once you get older they should allow you to make your mistakes as you learn more from your mistakes than you learn from your successes.

There is no objective answer to this question. It all depends on the parent. Some hand over the reins once the child turns 18, some sooner, and others later. But I agree it is still an interesting question. It is just that most of the time when this question is asked is by someone trying to argue with their parents about the path they want to follow which differs from the one their parents want them to pursue. Most typically when they are still in school. And then its not a question of fate, but a question of maturity (or lack of maturity).

• Murzy

When they are 18.