Should my bf and I stay together or should we part ways?

My boyfriend and I don”t share any common interests, hobbies, or values (such as political, religion, etc). I try to enjoy the things he does, but I can’t stand it especially when he doesn’t try the things I like. It’s to the point we don’t watch tv together because we aren’t interested in what one another is watching. We end up arguing over everything because we can’t agree on anything and I hate having conversations; it always leads to arguments. The only way we get along is if I give in and do what he wants or listen or watch what he likes. It’s to a point that I discussed separating, but he doesn’t want to and believes we don’t have to have similar interests or values to be in a relationship. What should I do?

I forgot to mention we have a child together and have been together for years so it isn’t an easy decision.

• Hannah

Yeah, like everyone else says... it's probably best to part ways.. I'm sure you will find another guy out there who will share the same hobbies/interests/values or at least a bit more than you and your current boyfriend. You guys would be happier. No point in forcing it to work. It's ok not to work out in the end and move on. It would be best for the kid too, so they don't have to deal with you guys fighting all of the time. If you guys end it on a positive note, you could possibly stay friends, and do things with your kid together so your kid still has mommy and daddy to spend time with as a family. Or make a schedule.

Hope this helps.

My parents acted like 2 different countries! They had little in common. I think my dad wanted to settle down and have a wife and a family. I think my mother wanted to get loose from her parents and their house.

They existed together and as time passed did less and less together, other than care for me and my younger brother and the house duties.

They each had their own interests but did some common things together with my brother and me. We went on vacations and visited relatives together.

But my parents grew distant, but stayed together. My father was affected the worst because he was an obvious "family man". My mother got attention from all her "outside" duties and interests that she cultivated.

My! How does this impact on the child you forgot to mention? He/she sees parents who have nothing on common, who probably argue, etc. Yours is their main example of how a marriage should be and how a husband and wife should act.

We fall madly in love, don’t we, thinking (feeling rather) that it will last forever and is enough for a serious relationship. However, it’s very hard to live on an emotional high for very long. Eventually we start to come down from the ecstasy, excitement, strong passions and desires, typically after around 18 months to three years (people vary of course). If couples are friends, discuss their mutual values, shared ambitions, interests, etc., in some depth (obviously there will be some differences, which help make relationships interesting), and make plans, work on their personal development, etc., this can develop into a long and wonderful relationship. If one party feels insecure or low in self respect, it can make for a difficult partnership. It's easy to behave at our best when in love, but marriage, for example, requires a lot of self discipline, sacrifice, compromise and flexibility. If a strong friendship is not in place, the relationship will probably peter out eventually - or worse. Quite often we fall in love because we are lonely and allow ourselves to be won over by anyone who takes an interest in us. Thus we give away control to somebody else if we are not careful. This is another reason for taking things very slowly, and really getting to know someone before committing ourselves or getting too emotionally or sexually involved. Sex can be emotionally bonding, which is disastrous if the other things are not there: strong friendship, similar values and standards, common interests, etc.

If you have nothing in common there is no point?

If when you are together all you do is bicker and frustrate each other what is the point?

It's time for the both of you to move on before this relationship gets ugly. Even if it's just for the sake of the child.

• Lila

You should part ways. Maybe you got together because you were physically attracted to each other but if there is no emotional connection or shared interests of any kind I don't see any reason for you to stay together.

• Rick B

Why on earth would you stay together if you have nothing in common?????? Why would you even have to ask?

UPDATE: Good God! Why would you have a child with a boyfriend??????? And one that you are not even compatible with. I wish people would quit bringing children into this world when they are not in a position to do so.

Just move on and stay friends.