TheBellJar asked in SportsMartial Arts · 5 months ago

Is Tai Chi the same as Kung Fu?

I only gave this best answer when it was the only answer I got and the only one I thought I was going to get but now thanks to others here I have learned that it actually IS a form of Kung Fu. Thanks.

I appreciate all the answers and comments.

• Henry
    Favorite Answer

Actually, no. In reality it isn't, despite what many Chinese food containers (and more than a few movies and video games) made us think.

• Sandra K

TheBellJar needs to read Miyuki's comments. Kung Fu = Great Achievement in Skill; Tai Chi Chuan = Taoist style of Martial Arts. Tai Chi can be or not be Kung Fu.

• Bon

Depends on how you are using the two words.

"Kung fu" as used in English and other non-Chinese language usually means Chinese martial arts and also specifically the hard/external class of marital art. This is actually an incorrect usage and meaning, but has been used this way for so long that it has become the accepted usage but only in English and other non-Chinese language.

Chinese martial art is divided into two categories - hard or external and soft or internal

Tai Chi is short of Tai Chi Chuan (or Tai Chi Quan) which is the generic name of several types of Chinese martial art that is in the soft/internal classification. Usually the name of the Tai Chi Chuan style is prefix to it such as Yang Tai Chi or Chen Tai Chi, etc.

In Chinese Tai Chi Chuan is a martial art, but as so often happens when a word is carried over into another language the original meaning tends to be changed and/or the word itself is misused.

If you were to ask a Chinese person your question, he would answer "yes".

Tai Chi or Taijiquan is martial art. Kung Fu is a term which means Human Achievement. The correct way of saying martial arts in chinese is Wushu or Quan Fa (which means way of the fist or boxing method). The difference between the two is Tai Chi is a internal (neijia) martial art and Kung Fu is external martial art. If you want more info look it up.

Kung Fu literally means "skill." So, all Tai Chi is Kung Fu, but not all Kung Fu is Tai Chi.

You so called best answer is terrible.

You asked similar question and STEEL gave great answer

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20190...

So u did not like his answer so u ask again. True sign of a troll!!!

• TheBellJar

My other question metioned Bagua Zhang as well and it was a long while before Steel answered it so I thought the question was too long and I should just ask about Tai Chi