Is it possible to put a hole in your neighbors wall by hammering your side of it?

I live in a town house and my neighbor is accusing me of putting a hole in his wall while I was hammering a nail on my side to hang up a photo. Is this even possible?

• Linda

Of course not! Behind your wall, there is a space (8"-10")....therefore, his claim is impossible.

I have lived in a house all of my life. I have been living on my own since 1978. I rented from 1978 thru 1983, before I bought a house, that I still live in.

I have hung heavy shelving, candle holders, clocks, photos, art work and even wrought iron decorative pieces on my walls since I was a teenager. I never, not once, caused a hole in any adjoining wall.

I decided to make an 8'wide x 4'high half wall pass through between my kitchen and family room. Demolishing the sheetrock off of the kitchen side of my wall first, did not even pop one nail or make a hole on the other side of the wall.

So, if, in over 45 years, I have not put a hole on the other side of a wall, I doubt you did either. Your neighbor has a hole in his wall and just wants you to repair it. Hammering the wall in one room does not cause a hole in the wall of the shared wall in the next room. Well, not of course, if the building was constructed properly.

• Absolutely because construction today is so shoddy and half-*** that you can gently thump the wall inside a house on one end while having someone situated at the farthest distance toward the other end of the house, and it will feel to them as if they're right next to you.

• chris

That must be a pretty crappy building! Just pull the nail out, look him right in the eye and whisper "Sorry!"

• Sky

You'd have to have used an extremely long nail. The studs inside that wall would be 2x4s at the very least, which has a nominal width of 3½". A large 16D nail is just barely longer than that. Add the thickness of drywall on both sides of those studs and there's no way even a 16D nail would penetrate through from one side to the other even when nailed down flat, let alone sticking out slightly to hang a picture. Being a shared wall, the studs are probably 2x6 or 2x8 to allow for extra insulation and sound dampening between the two homes.

If you were hammering in a typical small nail for hanging a picture, it would be impossible for that nail to put a hole through the neighbor's side unless the wall was nothing but a sheet of drywall or plywood, which it would never be. Your neighbor is full of sh!t.

sure it's possible. not likely unless you used one long nail.

more likely it that he had a repair there already and the hammering jarred it loose -- in which case it wasn't done right in first place and it's on him.

Source(s): granddad

How thick's the wail and how long is the nail? With the sort of nail normally used to hang a picture it's unlikely, but it's possible your hammering popped something loose his side, especially if it's a poorly built wall.

With 2 x 4 construction and 5/8 ths in. sheet rock, it would take a 5" nail.

• Joe

The vibration might cause a "nail pop": the thin coat of joint compound over a nail head fractured.

Nothing more than that from a photo-hanging-sized nail. It was probably ready to go, anyway; this isn't your fault. (Mostly, this sort of thing is caused by settling.)

easily done poorly built properties are everywhere