What to do to exterior of house to appear more modern?

Hi there, my husband and I are first home buyers and have bought a 1960s original pink somerhill stone house.it has a grey iron roof and original wooden window frames.we would like to make the exterior more modern.should we paint the brick or stain? If so what colour? Thanks

I think the 'brick' is actually dyed concrete which is supposed to look like stone. Painting it is definitely an option, but I would be inclined to over-clad it with insulated render to save energy in the future and - give it a fashionable streamline retro International Style feel - replace the windows with aluminium double glazed (not plastic) - and live with the pitched roof if that suits your climate.

It would help if you posted some pictures. But I have to agree with that other guy in that I would be hesitant to paint brick.

Never, ever paint brick. It will start popping off the brick faces. And it can never be fixed or undone.