Bobby Mcelroy asked in PetsDogs · 4 years ago

How are pre-existing conditions defined through pet insurance?

I am considering switching both of my dogs from vpi to healthy paws. My older dog suffered from IVDD a few years back and needed emergency surgery, which VPI covered. With the commonality of IVDD occuring again later in life, will healthypaws label it as a pre existing condition and deny coverage?

Any condition the dog already has prior to the insurance policy going into effect. Yes, this would be considered a pre-existing condition.

Yes that is the very definition of pre existing. Any condition that existed before you got the policy is pre existing. Many also consider health issues that are common for a particular breed to be pre existing as well. For example, hip displascia in German shepherds, back problems in dachshunds, entropian in share Pei's, etc

You would have to talk to a Representative of the insurance company.

Yes, they could but a simple call is all you need to know if it is or is not.