Bobby Mcelroy asked in PetsDogs · 5 years ago

How long should I keep moist dog food in the bowl before throwing it out?

My dogs are picky eaters and will not eat their dry food unless I moisten it with water. My dogs do not eat it in one sitting so I end up covering the bowl with aluminum foil to prevent spoilage. Is this a good idea, or does the moistened dog food become unhealthy while it sits?

Moist food is 85% water and not nutritional.

Feed you dog properly, good quality grain free dog food, on a set schedule, set amount (no free feeding) according to body condition/exercise by placing it down for 5-10 minutes then remove it whether the dog ate or not, wash out the dish, and offer it again at the next meal. Never leave any food out.

No dog is a "picky eater" the owners make them that way. If they don't have dental problems the food shouldn't be moistened, it will spoil in a very short time.

Your dogs will eat dry if their hungry enough and if you don't give in to them.they are training you.Anyways just spoon enough in the bowl that they will eat up right away. Keep the rest in the fridge and put a piece of saran wrap over it with an elastic or you can get covers that snap on to the can.Kept refrigerated it's good for couple days.

You spoiled them.

When a dog doesn't want to eat when you give them food, leave it there for about 30 minutes. If they don't eat, throw it away, because it is bad to leave food out for a while since they think they will just eat when it's most convenient to them, and that you are not the alpha. Next time you feed them, they should remember their mistake and will learn to accept what they have to eat.

2 hours max

no more than 24 hours, dependant on the temperature of your room

s