Cole asked in PetsFish · 6 years ago

My platy fish is being very aggressive.?

I have a fully established 22 liter hexagon tank with 10 neons, 4 spotted danios and 2 sunset platys. I've had the danios for ages.I bought the platys and neons yesterday, the neons are all settled fine and the Platys seemed okay; swimming around peacefully with the other fish but I left for work this morning and came back this evening and one platy is being very very aggressive towards my other one. He is chasing him round nipping at him constantly without stopping. The victim fish is also very agitated no matter where he is. My girlfriend says they are both male but I don't know.. What could be causing him to be so angry at his fellow tank-mate? Am I overstocked? Not enough platys? Do I need a male/female platy ratio. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Ps. I don't have a quarantine tank or anything to separate them if needed so.

• PeeTee

No not overcrowding--- very extreme overcrowding. The tank would require lots of work just to support the Platys and Platys are fin nippers and enthusiastic breeders, it's not truly aggression. Study the fish before you buy them.

Source(s): 60 years of fishkeeping.

Overcrowding....