Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsWeather · 7 years ago

Is the temperature near the ground as same as the temperature 1m above the ground?

My science teacher likes to give us little questions for homework and this is the one he gave us this lesson, i have looked on the internet but i cant find anything to do with it, what do you think?

Is the temperature near the ground as same as the temperature 1 m above the ground?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favourite answer

The World Meteorological Organization (WMO), the division of the UN that gathers all worldwide observations and redistribute it to forecast providers, says that all temperatures should be measured two meters above the ground and there is a very good reason for that: It can vary a lot with the distance to the ground.

How much depends on the conditions. If it is windy, the air mixes and there will be very little change with elevation. But if there is e.g. a high pressure with clear sky and little or no wind, it will change a lot! During the night and very early morning, the ground will be much colder after the night radiation as infrared, and during the day, the ground will get much warmer from intense insolation.

And this is why we often say that the forecast temperature doesn't match what we read. If we want to compare, we have to do as the professionals:

Measure the air temperature in a box that is covered from direct sunlight, yet open to the wind and two meters above the ground, away from reflecting surfaces such as walls, etc.

Then there is the time factors. Weather is registered and given in periods of 3, 6, 12 or 24 hours. You have to compare with the same period of time, making the average for that time lapse. If you read e.g. that the temperature for a given place at a given time of the year is so much, it is for a period of 24 hours. Not only daytime temperature. And this is a discussion I have had with my wife for 35 years so don't worry, not everyone has a scientific mind! ;-)

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • TQ
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Depends on how far away from the ground 1m is located.

Is "1m" one meter or one mile?

Assuming it's one meter, there isn't usually much difference between the air temperature near the ground and the air temperature one meter above the surface.

The exception is found at night when difference in the air temperature between one meter and the surface can be 2°C (3.5°F). This difference explains how frost can be observed when the morning low temperature is as high as 3°C (38°F).

If "1 m" is one mile above (5.2K') the surface, then the answer is a resounding yes. Under dry conditions, the temperature changes at the rate of 9.8°C per km (5.5°F per 1000'). The air temperature at one mile (1.6 km) above the surface would be 16° (~29°F) cooler.

• 7 years ago

Inside the earth should be hotter. Above the ground air moves more freely. The ground would hold on to heat. So I would say no the temperature should be warmer near the ground.

• 7 years ago

Not normally.

The ground heats up more slowly than the air during the day, and cools more slowly at night. Air near the ground will generally be cooler than the air higher up during the daytime, and warmer at night, with a crossover in the morning and evening.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 7 years ago

If the sun is out I would say it would be warmer near the ground. If it is raining it should be near the same.

If there is snow on the ground and the sun is out then the ground would be colder.,

There are so many different cases.

• 7 years ago

depends, what is the ground? mirror? asphalt? soil? brass?

logically, the amount of heat stored on the ground is more tha the air, since the air is constantly circulating, air also has less "space" for the sunlight to hit, most of the heat is from the ground (which is why the air is cooler at night)

Source(s): CP Physics
  • 7 years ago

Since the air is heated by the Earth and the Earth is heated by the Sun (not the core of the Earth) Then logically the air closest to the Earth would be the warmest, and it is.

• Doris
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

The atmosphere gets thinner at high elevations. Thin atmosphere means that the molecules are not as close together, therefore conduction of heat is lost

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.