Alex asked in PetsFish · 8 years ago

Why are my guppies hiding behind the heater?

i have 1 male guppy and 2 female ones. they keep going and hiding behind the heater? my temperature is set to 25 degrees celsius so i dont think they are too cold or too hot. they are in a 9 liter fish tank. the pet shop lady told us that it was suitable and i will buy a bigger tank when they have babies. can someone please tell me what is going on? thanks

9l is definitely not suitable. Take everything that pet store employees say with a grain of salt, a lot of it is just bs to get you to purchase stuff. Is the tank cycled? If not, that is why they are hiding, they are stressed from both being in a small volume and the ammonia burning their gills. I would return them to the store, otherwise they will most definitely die. That's the fact of the matter, take it or leave it.

As a guppy breeder, your fish tank size is fine for now for the number of fish you have, but remember to do partial water changes every week. Also, if you want them to breed, you can turn the temperature up a degree or two. I've found that they tend to breed a bit more in warmer water, and the colder water can cause them to get stressed, which can make them unable to have more than a few fry at a time.

As for them hiding, it's just a guppy thing. Mine tend to pick a spot in the tank and stick around it. It may help if you get a small floating plant. This allows them to have a few more places to explore while giving them something to nibble on at the same time. It also helps keep the water a bit healthier.

By the way, if you get a plant, check it for snails. Small ones may be on the plant, and if you aren't careful, they'll multiply super fast and take over your tank. I'm still suffering the consequences of this.

Source(s): Experience

Your tank is too small, they need no less than 37 liters. And evan that is too small for them to be breeding in. and they need a cycled filtered tank. A 2 gallon tank is too small to be a stable environment fo fish, the temperature will change and so many other things, fish ca not tolerate change, the bigger the tank the esier it will be to keep stable.

my beta sleeps behind his heater a lot. its just a comfortable place for them.