Why are so many (definitely not all) Christians against gays?

I'm sort of confused by this, but of course, respect for all people. I live in a pretty diverse area, and have a lot of friends from very religious to gay. Some of these questions are a bit naive, as these are all from my limited understanding of the Bible: 1. Does it say explicitly in the bible that being... show more I'm sort of confused by this, but of course, respect for all people. I live in a pretty diverse area, and have a lot of friends from very religious to gay. Some of these questions are a bit naive, as these are all from my limited understanding of the Bible:

1. Does it say explicitly in the bible that being gay is a sin?
2. if Christians are against Gays, then why isn't there as big of an animosity towards non-Christians (From the Ten Commandments) than there are to gays? Why can most very religious people be friends with non-Christian people, yet hate/reject their gay peers?
3. If God said to love those around you, why do many Christians turn their backs on their gay friends, who were once thought of straight? Isn't it against the Bible to hate/ostracize your peers (Once again, from my limited understanding?)

Once again, these are not aimed at causing hate or denouncement towards any group! Just some questions I've lately been thinking of/confused about. Thanks for any clarification!
Also, hate may be too strong, although I know some Christians do hate gay people. But some Christians turn their back on/do not accept/ignore gays, as evident by anti-marriage movements, and such.
Update: When I said "hate" I meant it as a broad term. In the original question, I also specified other words like "turn their back on", "reject", "are not accepting". Words not necessarily hate... as that may be too strong.
13 answers