We are undergoing maintenance for a few hours. Some features may be temporarily unavailable.

Why are so many (definitely not all) Christians against gays?

Follow
  • Follow publicly
  • Follow privately
  • Unfollow
I'm sort of confused by this, but of course, respect for all people. I live in a pretty diverse area, and have a lot of friends from very religious to gay. Some of these questions ...show more
Update : When I said "hate" I meant it as a broad term. In the original ...show more
Best Answer
Homosexuality places reasonable Christians in conflict with their religion. They, as a person, don't have any problems with it - but, their religion says it's bad, so it must be bad. They don't like being put in that position, and subconsciously, they hold it against the homosexuals (it's their fault that they are in conflict with their religious beliefs). That's why they will say things like, "I don't hate gays I just wish they would keep it to themselves."

They don't want to have to do the soul searching that would come from an honest look at the Bible's perspective on the matter. They might have to give up their religion and find some other religion to tell them how they should act, think, feel, and believe. They thought they had already sorted all that out. They don't want to consider that they just might have been WRONG in their choice to believe what they do. So, ego plays a part in it, too.

Source:

atheist and ex-Christian
  • Rate
  • Comment

Other Answers (12)

Rated Highest
  • Rated Highest
  • Oldest
  • Newest
  • Jessica answered 2 years ago
    Well in Genesis God says, "Be fruitful and multiply." And obviously two gay people can't really do that!!
    • 3
    • Comment
  • mopar Mike answered 2 years ago
    Being in opposition to their very destructive behavior and being against them are two entirely different things. You simply need to learn how to differentiate between the two.

Yes it does say in the bible being gay is a sin. It also says homosexuals will not enter the kingdom of heaven. Don't let TV or Ellen Degenrous brainwash you that homosexuals are just these fun loving folks who are hated by Christians and how wonderful and normal it is.

You shouldn't hate them, but this behavior is most certainly not normal and it most certainly is destructive. To those practicing it and society as a whole.

1 Corinthians 6:9-11

New American Standard Bible (NASB)

9 Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor [a]effeminate, nor homosexuals, 10 nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God. 11 Such were some of you; but you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and in the Spirit of our God.

Statistics Showing Destructive Nature of Homosexuality

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news...
    • 2
    • Comment
  • Brandon answered 2 years ago
    For question 1
    Yes Romans 1:26-27

For some reason, when we say we disagree with homosexuality, gays figure that means we hate them. I don't hate the gays, I hate their lifestyle.

Source(s):

Catholic
    • 1
    • Comment
  • Wayne T answered 2 years ago
    I don't take any action against them, but to me homosexual acts are disgusting. I am not afraid of homosexuals so don't pull out that stupid phobia word.
    • 2
    • Comment
  • Ľėïń¥ěńō answered 2 years ago
    "Q. Are there other Scriptures in the New Testament which deal with homosexuality?

Yes. Romans 1:24-27; I Timothy 1:10 and Jude 7. If one takes these Scriptures seriously, homosexuality will be recognized as an evil. The Romans passage is unmistakably clear. Paul attributes the moral depravity of men and women to their rejection of "the truth of God" (1:25). They refused "to retain God in their knowledge" (1:28), thereby dethroning God and deifying themselves. The Old Testament had clearly condemned homosexuality but in Paul's day there were those persons who rejected its teaching. Because of their rejection of God's commands He punished their sin by delivering them over to it.

The philosophy of substituting God's Word with one's own reasoning commenced with Satan. He introduced it at the outset of the human race by suggesting to Eve that she ignore God's orders, assuring her that in so doing she would become like God with the power to discern good and evil (Genesis 3:1-5). That was Satan's big lie. Paul said that when any person rejects God's truth, his mind becomes "reprobate," meaning perverted, void of sound judgment. The perverted mind, having rejected God's truth, is not capable of discerning good and evil.

In Romans 1:26-31 twenty-three punishable sins are listed with homosexuality leading the list. Paul wrote, "For this cause God gave them up into vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompense of their error which was meet" (Romans 1:26, 27). These verses are telling us that homosexuals suffer in their body and personality the inevitable consequences of their wrong doing. Notice that the behaviour of the homosexual is described as a "vile affection" (1:26). The Greek word translated "vile" (atimia) means filthy, dirty, evil, dishonourable. The word "affection" in Greek is pathos, used by the Greeks of either a good or bad desire. Here in the context of Romans it is used in a bad sense. The "vile affection" is a degrading passion, a shameful lust. Both the desire (lusting after) and the act of homosexuality are condemned in the Bible as sin." [1]

Source(s):

• 1
    • Comment
  • Treyshon answered 2 years ago
    Christians are strongly against gay but you are right that many other people are too. And of these people they tend to be more of them against gay males than gay females. Usually these are straight males - the hotter the gay females are the more forgiving they are.

Being penetrated is seen as weak and an attack on what it means to be a man. These qualities are ingrained in many cultures. Women are allowed to be weak and society has lower standards for them in most areas.

Many people are just dumb and has let the church and stereotypes decide for them.

When a judge at the prop 8 trial asked one of the lawyers who was trying to uphold prop 8 what would be so destructive to marriage if gay couples were allowed to marry, the lawyer answered "I don't know".
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Christian Metal Drummer answered 2 years ago
    I don't hate the sinner, I hate the sin. Try to look at it from my end of the table. A gay atheist does not want me to force my beliefs on him. I don't want a gay atheist to force his beliefs on me either. That doesn't mean I hate him. What gives a gay atheist the right to hate christianity and tell me I have to be happy for them because they are gay? Atheists are very opinionated people and clearly are not happy for christians.

Leviticus 20:13 - If a man practices homosexuality, having sex with another man as with a woman, both men have committed a detestable act. They must both be put to death, for they are guilty of a capital offense.

Source(s):

I didn't write the bible, sorry guys.
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Gregory answered 2 years ago
    1. Does it say explicitly in the bible that being gay is a sin? yes it does

2. if Christians are against Gays, then why isn't there as big of an animosity towards non-Christians (From the Ten Commandments) than there are to gays? Why can most very religious people be friends with non-Christian people, yet hate/reject their gay peers?
    were not against people but sins people do

3. If God said to love those around you, why do many Christians turn their backs on their gay friends, who were once thought of straight?
    were not to confirm or support sinful life styles

Isn't it against the Bible to hate/ostracize your peers (Once again, from my limited understanding?)
    no its not against the bible to oppose sinful actions

2 John 1:10-11

Easy-to-Read Version (ERV)
    10 Don’t accept those who come to you but do not bring this teaching. Don’t invite them into your house. Don’t welcome them in any way.

11 If you do, you are helping them with their evil work.
    • 1
    • Comment
  • Lindsay answered 2 years ago
    The Bible consistently tells us that homosexual activity is a sin (Genesis 19:1-13; Leviticus 18:22; 20:13; Romans 1:26-27; 1 Corinthians 6:9). Romans 1:26-27 teaches specifically that homosexuality is a result of denying and disobeying God. When people continue in sin and unbelief, God “gives them over” to even more wicked and depraved sin in order to show them the futility and hopelessness of life apart from God. 1 Corinthians 6:9 proclaims that homosexual “offenders” will not inherit the kingdom of God.

God does not create a person with homosexual desires. The Bible tells us that people become homosexuals because of sin (Romans 1:24-27) and ultimately because of their own choice. A person may be born with a greater susceptibility to homosexuality, just as some people are born with a tendency to violence and other sins. That does not excuse the person’s choosing to sin by giving in to sinful desires. If a person is born with a greater susceptibility to anger/rage, does that make it right for him to give into those desires? Of course not! The same is true with homosexuality.

However, the Bible does not describe homosexuality as a “greater” sin than any other. All sin is offensive to God. Homosexuality is just one of the many things listed in 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 that will keep a person from the kingdom of God. According to the Bible, God’s forgiveness is just as available to a homosexual as it is to an adulterer, idol worshipper, murderer, thief, etc. God also promises the strength for victory over sin, including homosexuality, to all those who will believe in Jesus Christ for their salvation (1 Corinthians 6:11; 2 Corinthians 5:17; Philippians 4:13).

Source(s):

gotquestions.org
    • 1
    • Comment
  • the re - chosen one answered 2 years ago
    Because our God warned us for the better of our societies to keep homosexuality from flourishing in them.
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Sign In 

to add your answer

• Harriet answered 2 years ago
    The Bible is clear: God does not approve of or condone homosexual practices. He also disapproves of people who “consent with those practicing them.” (Romans 1:32) And “marriage” cannot give homosexuality a cloak of respectability. God’s direction that “marriage be honorable among all” precludes homosexual unions, which he considers detestable.—Hebrews 13:4.

Still, with God’s help, anyone can learn to “abstain from fornication,” which includes homosexual acts, and “get possession of his own vessel in sanctification and honor.”(1 Thessalonians 4:3, 4) Admittedly, this is not always easy. Nathan, who formerly pursued a homosexual life-style, said: “I thought I could never stop.” But he did change with help from “the spirit of our God.”(1 Corinthians 6:11) As Nathan discovered, no problem is too big for Jehovah, who can provide the strength and help needed to meet His standards and receive His blessings.—Psalm 46:1.

But at the same time, I do not hate homosexuals, I am merely sharing what the Bible has to say. I treat all people with the same amount of respect.

Source(s):

• Rate
    • Comment
  • That Blonde answered 2 years ago
    The bible says to stone and hang gays along with it being immoral. Every though they have no control over being gay, sad...
    • 1
    • Comment

Who is following this question?

%
    BEST ANSWERS
    Member since:
    Points: Points: Level
    Total answers:
    Points this week:
    Follow

Unfollow

Block

Unblock