? asked in PetsFish · 9 years ago

Golden Wonder KilliFish Breeding Help?

I have 4 Golden Wonder Killifish.

1 of them is really colorful and is about 6cm long.

2 of them are kinda whitish and are about 4-5cm long.

The last one is colourful too but it is about 4cm long.

I feed them Flakes, and Live Earthworms uncut everyday.

Can you tell me the whole process of breeding them and taking care of the babies?

Thanks in Advance.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favourite answer

Wow!

If they are able to take earthworms uncut, that is really impressive! I aspire to your feeding regime, flakes early and something live later in the day.Worms (and Daphnia) are also rich in Lipids, substances important in forming eggs and growing young.

I think that you understand that your largest and smallest golden wonders are males. If you would like more on sexing out Aplocheilus lineatus take a look at the discussion in the first source below.

If you have plants in your tank. your lineatus are already spawning. If conditions are favorable (78-82 F) and the fish are obviously well fed as yours are, they will spawn. (I've even had a pair of killies leave eggs on a floating thermometer!

If you wish to pick eggs make a acrylic spawning mop. Checkout the second source. I prefer darker colors because I can see their eggs ,more easily and the fish look better next to them. Use a well rinsed medicine vial, a cork, new fishing bobber or even a piece of non-crumbly styrofoam to float them.

There are a couple ways one could spawn lineatus - mop spawning & water incubating them for two weeks, picking eggs from a mop & putting them in a tray of treated, seasoned water or setting up the parents in a planted tank & moving them so the fry can hatch out there.

If you have the room to separate the male(s) & females(s),& feed them well on live foods, (assuming that you are doing weekly 50% water changes) when you put them together they will leave a lot more eggs.

Just making up examples, but if a pair is constantly together, they may lay 10-15 eggs a day. With extra blackworms and maybe frozen (defrosted, rinsed) frozen foods earlier in the day, they may leave 30-40 eggs at a time. Separated and feed extremely nourishing stuff, they may produce more.

Separating a pair some time before a show (killies are usually shown & judged & often sold as pairs) will encourage them to court and show their best colors. They also start the day with no nicks or dings in their fins. The water changes help with that too.

You also may need to treat the incubation water. The chlorine and ammonia (choramine) are not good for the eggs.

Ironically sometimes it is wise to leave the newly picked eggs in fresh tap water with some chlorination to kill microscopic critters that ride in with the eggs. THEN put the eggs in water treated a couple of days before with a water treatment and left open to "breathe".

Leaving a jar with a dozen black worms in it will sate the adult's desire for snacks and they are more likely to leave fry or eggs alone.

If a pair isn't leaving eggs... check the following:

1. Is a tank mate (such as another female killie or a Cory or large snails) rating the eggs?

2. Have we kept up with partial water changes?

3. Is there too much mineral in the water?

Aplo. lineatus are wide-spread over southern India. That indicates that they thrive in different water chemistries.

Still if you can get your pet shop to do a hardness or TDS (total Dissolved Solids) test, that may give you a hint.Winging it a little here, a hardness of 100 to nearly 200 PPM (parts per million) or 5.8 to 10.6 DH should be fine for gardneri. TDS meters (the thrifty aquarist's hardness meter can be used if one has seen one of your municipal water department's annual reports.

They include a number of minerals there and you can figure out what percentage of that would be your hardness minerals (calcium, magnesium and iron). A number of minerals are not of much consequence.

However if there is a high level of sodium chloride (common salt) that can break down the chorion (shell) around the egg and allow critters to get in and eat the yoke and embryo.)

Ironically sometimes it is wise to newly picked eggs in fresh tap water with some chlorination to kill microscopic critters that ride in with the eggs. THEN put the eggs in water treated a couple of days before with a water treatment and left open to "breathe".

If you get eggs in the mail in a medicine vial, that is fine. But get the eggs out, maybe rinsed in fresh tap water and then into the incubation water. In time the eggs can suffocate in the shipping container.

After a number of people began complaining about "mystery deaths"among incubating eggs, some of the more advanced killie people began suggesting that after 7-8 days of incubation, one should do a 100% water change - as the eggs develop, they do release waste material.

Another problem is that sometimes bad eggs will fungus and the fungus will spread out and kill all the eggs. Some people put in a very dilute Acriflaven solution to slow down the fungus, so one can take white eggs out with a pipette or eyedropper.

Other will add a drop of Methylene blue. If an egg turns blue, it had died and then became dyed as the outer membrane broke down. Get those out ASAP too.

Hope there is useful grist for the mill here.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Killifish Breeding

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.