Brian asked in HealthDental · 10 years ago

Did I just self correct my overbite?

I've had a overbite for as long as I could remember, but I haven't really taken a notice of it until I was 14-15 years old. Since then I've kind of forcefully moved my lower jaw so the teeth of the bottom jaw can make contact with the upper tip of my upper jaw. Since then, I've been able to naturally feel like I have a normal jaw alignment.

Granted I CAN revert to a overbite if I want to, but it seems more natural to me with my "forced correction". My overbite appearance comes out usually when i sleep (i sleep with my mouth open) and laugh.

Did I just self-correct my overbite?

lol fox i love those answers so i thumbs up'd your *** :)

Try forcing yourself to do a underbite everyday for 7 years and see where that will leave your jaw at. Thats how i believe i self corrected my own jaw. By forcing my lower jaw forward everyday for 7 years.

Thanks Donald Trump, lol.

NO you did not and FYI you really mean "overjet" and not "overbite." In order to have an intelligent discussion of a problem, you need to know what you are talking about. An OVERBITE refers to the amount of vertical overlap of the upper front teeth over the lower front teeth and an OVERJET is how far forward horizontally the upper front teeth (actually the maxillae) are relative to the lower front teeth (actually the mandible). I believe you really mean the latter situation. Patients with an overjet problem cannot self correct this because the muscles that hold the lower jaw are too strong to allow that to happen. Although you can consciously move your lower jaw forward so that it lines up properly, that does not mean you have an overjet correction. Overjets are corrected by wearing a functional appliance 24/7 for at least a year. This will actually stretch the muscles that hold the mandible to prevent them from pulling the lower jaw back to its original position. Traditional orthodontists have deluded themselves for years thinking that using elastics could do the same thing - NOT! When you allow your lower jaw to relax completely, it will revert back to its retruded position and your assumed self correction will disappear.

Source(s): functional orthodontist

Well you can't really self correct an overbite. Unless your orthodontist gives you headgear which you wear every night at home.

Gee I love the questions on this site! Entertain me to no end :) LMAO... Ok, if a fat person walked around sucking their gut in, does that mean they have "self corrected" their obesity? No, you are just holding that position, like you said, so how is it corrected?!?!

Source(s): *Added= haha, thanking you! Well, you made me smile today :))

o.0

If it works, why not?