What's the difference between a spade and shovel?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 7
    10 years ago
    Favourite answer

In the UK when I was young, a spade was a flattish thing for digging holes and a shovel was more rounded, for moving stuff - e.g. a coal shovel, a manure shovel.

Google images kind of agrees with me.

• 10 years ago

A spade may be pointed or square. A spade may be long or short handled. The difference between a spade and a shovel is in the actual purpose of the tool. A spade is for digging and a shovel is for shoveling (moving) dirt, gravel, etc.

A spade will have a spot for your foot to push down into the dirt. There will be a small bent section at the top of the blade where you rest (or push) with your foot.

http://www.ehow.com/facts_7421547_shape-spade-vs_-...

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Shovels and spades are two very similar objects, but there are differences in appearance and best use of each tool. While some people use the terms interchangeably, there actually are clear differences between shovels and spades.

Materials

•Both spades and shovels are made from the same metals. Most spades and shovels are made

from steel, aluminum, iron or plastic. It is most common to see spades and shovels made from steel, because it is one of the toughest metals and is also somewhat lightweight. Iron shovels and spades are very heavy, and very few full-sized shovels are made from iron. Aluminum shovels and spades are very lightweight, but they may not be strong enough to hold a lot of weight. The handles are usually made from plastic or wood on both shovels and spades.

• 10 years ago

shovel is more of a generic term which describes a tool used to push or move. That is why one example of this is called a "snow" shovel. a spade is a shaped instrument that is designed to dig more efficiently because of it's pointy end. It's actually called a digging spade. but truth is..I have landscaped in different parts of North America and I have found that names change from one town to another on many things. tools, soils, rocks, gravels, etc..... can be called different things everywhere. It actually gets confusing sometimes. I actually write landscaping how-to's and this is one thing that I always have to consider.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

a spade is a special type of shovel which comes to a point and is easier for digging in the ground or for whatever purpose, digging. A shovel, i assume what you are referring to, is a flat headed shovel. There is no point. Both serve a certain purpose.

• Hondu
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

They are all shovels. A spade is one type of shovel simply named for it's shape-pointed.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Depends on where you live. Around here, anything with a blade that you dig or move material with, flat or pointed, is a shovel. The names are used interchangeably for a digging tool with a broad, pointed blade.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.