How do i find my computers FQDN?

I'd like to log into my computer with remote desktop from somewhere outside my network, It says i need to use FQDN instead of IP address, how do i find this FQDN?

FQDN - Fully Qualified Domain Name

Thanks

• Adam

FQDN is the full name of your computer and only applies if that computer is part of a domain. For example if Server01 was part of the Microsoft.com domain then the FQDN of that server is server01.microsoft.com

This is simply a way of resolving the name through DNS. In almost all application an IP address can be used instead of FQDN because your computer will just take the steps to resolve the FQDN into an IP address anyway.

It depends how your PC connected to the internet. If you are connected to a cable modem that give your PC a public IP address, you just have to nslookup that IP to see if it has a name, and then nslookup that name and see if it resolves to your IP.

If you are using DSL you would need to do the same for PPPoE IP address.

If your modem is also a router or if you are behind a router and your PC has a private IP address, then you would need to find out what has the public IP and what name that has, if any. And you would also need to forward UDP port 3389 to the private IP of your PC.

Since either cable or DSL likely has a dynamic IP (and DSL is likely to get a different one more frequently than cable) it would be a good idea to use a dynamic DNS service that will resolve a static (fixed) name to your dynamic IP. I have been using no-ip.com for years, but you can find others by web searching "dns hosting".

But other than the fact that your IP may change, I do not know why anything would require FQDN instead of an IP, because all DNS does is resolve a name to an IP and it is the IP that it makes the connection to.

Find Fqdn

If you don't have a domain, you don't have a FQDN.