Do salt lamps really generate negative ions?

Lamps consisting of a light bulb covered by a hollow piece of kala namak (Himalayan black salt) are very attractive and ornamental. Their sellers claim they generate negative ions, which are good for your health. Is this true or just bullshit? It's certainly true that negative ions neutralise positive ions... show more Lamps consisting of a light bulb covered by a hollow piece of kala namak (Himalayan black salt) are very attractive and ornamental. Their sellers claim they generate negative ions, which are good for your health. Is this true or just bullshit? It's certainly true that negative ions neutralise positive ions which make you feel bitchy and irritable. Have you noticed that northwesterly Fohn winds make you feel lousy? I have.
Update: Fohn winds produce positive ions, which make you feel bitchy. This is accepted scientific wisdom. I certainly notice the effect.