Snow Skiing....? Any tips?

I have never done it in my entire life. My freind is teaching me but still I don't want to look like a hillybilly in front of him. Any good tips..?

Are Snow boarding and Snow Skiing same sports...?

• Lee
    Best answer

the best thing to do is learn how to fall with skis this can dangerous they just have fun stay in your limits start with the bunny slopes work your way up to answer your question those are two different things when I first started snow boarders had to stick to the bunny slopes now they have their own trails they have different stopping and maneuvering dynamics

You will need to spread your weight more between the two skis, and it may take a little time to work a compromise between weighting the lower ski only, to weighting both skis equally. You will be looking for a compromise between easy powder skiing technique, and the slightly more aggressive technique needed for a firm steep slope.

The bouncing you do, and the depth into the snow you drop while you are bouncing will help to brake you. It will also determine the amount of snow that cascades up into your face and over your shoulders. Wear goggles. You'll need them. Unless you are an ace swimmer, and can get your breathing synchronised with your bouncing, keep your mouth shut, except of course to whoop with sheer joy at the fun of it all.

Quite a few people lose a ski in the deep powder. If the avalanche risk is low, it is not a bad idea to have some kind of cord fastening going round your ankle and attached to the ski. Alternatively I have often managed to keep my skis attached by diving head first down the slope when I was about to fall! It takes a bit of time to clear the snow out of exposed orifices, but it saves digging around in angel poop up to your neck, searching for a ski that has probably moled its way into the next valley.

It is also important when skiing off piste in any condition to wear or carry some kind of reflector or transmitter that will help any rescuers dig you out, should you be buried in an avalanche. Do read the article entitled 'Skiers and Avalanches' if you are unsure about whether a slope is safe or not.

As already mentioned, taking lessons from a pro is the best way to go! I was recently in Whistler for 13 weeks doing lessons 5 days a week on my way to becoming a ski instructor, and I cannot tell you how much of a difference a good instructor makes compared to a friend who's good at skiing. They're not the same sports - they utilise the same ideas and concepts but in a very different way!

Basic tips I can give you for your first time would be:

Try to stay confident- very hard to do if you're falling over a lot - but remember if you are falling you are learning!

Don't be afraid to fall, as mentioned above.

Be happy to start slowly and on easier slopes - it helps your confidence and technique!

Good skiing is not having your feet close together - this is an old misconception! Look at downhill racers - technically fantastic and their feet are wider than their shoulders! Wider feet makes you more stable!

Hope these help a bit and hopefully your friend/ instructor will help further! Have a good time skiing!

• Jim W

Snow boarding and snow skiing are 2 different sports that share many things in common. Unless your friend is a professional instructor, I suggest you take some lessons from the local ski school. This should save the frustrations and the friendship for both of you. Learning to ski is a set of new skills and they take time to learn. As much as your friend wants to help, the expectations are usually too high and the student teacher rapport is hard to develop. Your nervousness and learning curve will be your own and it is usually faster for you to get a pro to do the teaching. Have your friend at the resort, let them ski on their own while you are in class, the added expense is cheap compared to loosing a friendship. Let them advise you about clothing and skin protection, listen to your instructor about the on snow skills. Fit your boots tight around your foot and ankle. Only your foot and sock in the boot, the heel must be full back in the shell and when buckled, it must not move around your foot. Boots too large is the most common problem for inexperienced skiers, and probably for snowboarders as well. Stay on the beginner slopes the first day or 2. Get in shape before you go, jump rope 15 minutes a day for 2 weeks before you go, practice balancing on one foot, then hoping to the other. Do this several times a day, walk and jog to get your endurance up to a reasonable level. Have fun, make some new friends, and some old ones. Skiing is as much a social sport as a snow sport.

Source(s): 40+ years teaching skiing.

Skis. Ankles. Knees. Backside. Keep them in ascending order.

Seriously, have lessons from a pro. A friend teaching is not a good plan. The friend may not have good technique and may hand on bad habits. Also, if the friend is anything like me, he or she will have great difficulty understanding why what he or she finds easy is something you cannot work out. Frustration, possibly anger and loss of friendship may ensue. Finally a professional instructor will have a range of strategies to pass on that will help you understand the required techniques.

As we say on the mountain, "Friends don't let friends teach friends." Take a lesson from an instructor. They will provide you with some basics and some skills to work on.

Most important, however, is balance. You can read more about it and much else at http://skiblog-skiblog.blogspot.com, a site specifically for ski instruction and tips.

Best of luck!

Dave

PSIA Ski Instructor

http://skiblog-skiblog.blogspot.com/

If you do anything, wear a helmet. Almost everyone who dies is a beginner or intermediate who isn't wearing a helmet.

Skiing and boarding are a matter of preference, but you can do a lot more on skis as an expert than you can on a snowboard.

Source(s): veteran Colorado skier

do yourself a favor and get a lesson from somebody that is an instructor. Your friend can be the best skier out there but that doesnt mean he knows how to teach the right way

and skiing is nothing like snowboarding they are incredibly different. Personally id do boarding i think youd like it more but its your choice

Sorry sweety, I'll break my neck!! LOL! (I'm more into the 'water' thing anyway.) Although I would LOVE to do 'in line body surfing' on the winded highway with no cars around!! :)

no theyre not, nd the best advice you can get, is to just pay attention and dont get frustrated. it takes a few times to get the hang of