Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

asked in Beauty & StyleSkin & BodyTattoos · 1 decade ago

Lip Piercing For 13 year olds? Your opinion?

I know how this is gunna turn out,

"your too young think about your future blah blah blah"

i just honestly want onee. badly. i'd give everything i have for one.

and i understand that if i dont want it anymore i can take it out; simple as pie.

my parents are against it, heaps.

if i pierced it myself, without any infections; would i be singled out from everyone else? looked down upon by randoms in the city?

what do you *honestly* think about 13 year olds getting their lip pierced.

thanks.

• Anisya

i HONESTLY think that anyone, regardless of age, who pierces themselves at home is an idiot. Its safer to get piercings done by a professional

I understand that you want to get the piercing, but you're still under your parents roof and have to abide by their rules. My parents wouldn't even let me get my ears pierced for the first time until I was 16. Any other piercings that I wanted I had to wait until I was old enough to do it without my parents.

Believe me, its worth the wait. if you want the piercing now...you'll still want it when you're old enough to do it without parental consent.

• Dani

I *honestly* think -

If you're going to have facial piercings, you have to be willing to accept the attention they get, good, and bad. If you think that you'll have a problem with the negative reactions you'll get (and you will get them), then save yourself the trouble and dont do it. I knew that people would look down on me for my piercings, but I also knew that I wouldnt give a flying fig what people thought about me, so it didn't really matter.

I also *honestly* think that -

Piercing yourself at home is risky. Very risky. You don't have the proper tools or training. I know, I've done it a few times. (Long time ago). Luckilly nothing got infected or fell off but I can tell you these truths:

1- you risk getting infections, or bad scars from a halfassed piercing job

2- it'll hurt about 10x more than it would if you got it done professionally. Piercers get it done as quickly as possible. You'll be feeling every second of it, so chances are you'll hesitate quite a bit. I've pierced things that took me about 10 minutes to get done, sometimes longer. If I had gone in and had them done professionally- it would've taken about 5 seconds, total.

3- it's pretty hard to get it accurate. 90% of my self done piercings have been taken out because they're uneven or not in the right spot, or never healed correctly.

Last - I understand the urge to want piercings, however, if your parents are strongly against it, why would they let you keep it? You're probably going to pierce your lip and go through all the trouble, just to have to take it out 5 minutes later when your parents see what you've done.

I really dont think piercings are a big deal. People say you'll ruin yourself for life but they come out and then you have a teeny tiny scar that looks like a freckle, but you really shouldn't go against your parents wishes. Discuss it with them further, tell them that you wont completely disfigure your face with one tiny little piercing.

Taking into consideration your age, you have to understand that you are still under the supervision of your parents. While they probably can't force you to do anything, they can certainly make your life difficult.

The other thing you may want to consider is that, while most "randoms in the city" aren't going to give two hoots about a lip piercing regardless of your age, unless you live in an ultra conservative area, your prospective employers will. And piercings/ tattoo's while they are becoming more acceptable, many companies have policies against body modifications.

At your age, unless you are producing your own income you are still relying on your parents and you may be better off waiting. Continueing a positive relationship with your parents and seeing what kind of employment will be available for you.

Besides most piercing shops, at least in my area of the US, won't pierce you without a letter of concent signed by your legal guardian, and home piercings are dangerous. You need to realize that you have nerve endings and blood vessels that if pierced incorrectly can cause permanent numbness to an entire side of your face.

Good luck, and I hope that you can come to an agreement with your parents rather then trying to undermind them, or do it yourself.

I think that 13 is way too young to have any piercing other than a lobe piercing or two. Maybe a helix but doubtfully. Your body is still growing and you are really young to know if you are really going to want this for awhile.

It's not simple as pie when you take it out. A lot of times it leaves a scar on your lip or by your lip. My ex-boyfriend had to take his out when he joined the marines 3 years ago....you can see exactly where the hole was.

And you can't pierce it yourself and there is no guarantee that you won't get an infection. Just wait until you are older.

Well ever since I was thirteen I have had plenty of lip piercings, one to two at a time only of course. But As long as you take extremely good care of it, if it's what you want then go for it.

My mom had never let me get them, but just put something small and more acceptable by parents and they might give in,

My mom is really stubborn and that's how I got her to go for it.

Just don't make it to big and bulky, most people will learn to accept it. Everyone is stunned every time i do it.

P.s. Im 16 now && I have a monroe on the right,

just a simple diamond,

&& it's all around cute, :)

&& also I have had it done before professionally and it hurt 534545515billion times worse than doing it myself.

Sterilize the piercing needle, very well.

&& clean up around the spot. I have never had one get infected.

I think 13 is a little too young, but I suppose some 13 year olds are abit more mature than others.

So, since your parents don't want you to have it, wouldn't they just make you take it out if you went behind their backs and did it anyway?

Also, DO NOT pierce it yourself. Piercing needles are very different from sewing needles and safety pins. Piercing needles are more akin to a razor blade than a sewing needle. Also, there is no way for you to properly sanitize a needle, burning it and rubbing alcohol are not 100% effective. Just because some people have done it without adverse affects DOES NOT mean that there are no risks. I mean, plenty of people smoke and don't have lung cancer, but that doesn't mean that smoking doesn't cause lung cancer. And any shop that is willing to break the law to pierce any underage person is also willing to scimp on safety and sanitation.

So, I'd say wait. If you still want it in a year or so, approach your parents again. They may see that you had the maturity to wait and not do it behind their backs, they might see that since you waited so long and still want it that it's important to you.

I'd like to add that when I was your age, EVERYBODY had their tongue pierced. Every single one of my friends (except myself, my parents were against it - my parents are both tattooed, but they knew the regret of an underage body modification) had their tongues pierced. I still have that same group of friends, and each and every one of them took their tongue piercing out, none have it anymore. They now consider it a waste of their hard-earned money.

HEY!! I Love piercing IM 15 and have my tongue done!!

I think you should wait at least a year not coz u might not want it in a year but I just think u're gonna look like a try hard which ur probably not but people whon dont know u will think that but then again u shouldnt care what people think so I guesss its up to u to decide

i dont know even if you are the nicest person most people see young people with lip/eyebrow piercings and think 'feral' or 'cheap' or 'slut'. and you sound really nice, but this is probably what people would think, depends on if you care or not. as you said, you can take it out again, but is it worth it if your parents are heaps agaist it and so are most other people? but then. if you really want to, go ahead and see what happens!

• i would have given anything to get a piercing when i was 13, but i had to wait til i was 16 so i could get them without consent.

and at the moment i have to hide my septum piercing because i'm still not supposed to have them.

they never stopped me though, obviously, and i'm very happy about that

Lip piercings are cool, go for it, but if you only want to impress other persons, better don't do it. If you really sure, you want it go for it.