What happens if I play with an Ouija Board?

Follow
  • Follow publicly
  • Follow privately
  • Unfollow
Best AnswerAsker's Choice
Parker Brothers did not invent the Ouija Board. It had already been around for awhile when it was bought by Parker Brothers in 1966 and turned into a commercial success as a board game. Its beginnings lie in the distant past when an earlier version (a tripod device) was used in the ancient ways of Babylon and Greece to contact departed spirits. The tripod became the pointer now used with the Board, which is printed with the alphabet, the numbers 1-9, a 0 (zero), and the words 'Goodbye', 'Yes', and 'No'. There are other boards like this with different names, but with the same history and purpose. The modern version of this game was developed by a man named Planchette, a spiritualist (someone who contacts the dead as part of their religion). The Board was further transformed around the turn of the century under the direction and ownership of two men, Elijah J. Bond and William Fuld. Fuld’s name can be seen on the Ouija Board today. The name Ouija is a combination of the French and German words for 'yes': Oui and Ja. According to Bond and Fuld, the Board suggested its own name. The primary purpose of the board is and always has been to contact disembodied spirits. Contacting the dead is called necromancy, and contacting spirits is spiritism, both strongly condemned by God (Deut. 18:9-12; Lev. 19:31, 20:6; I Sam 28, II Kings 21:6; Is. 8:19, 19:3-4). The Board’s translated name, 'yes, yes', is an ingenious and subtle way to invite spirit contact. Dead people cannot hang around after death; you cannot communicate with a dead person. The practices and techniques of contacting the dead and contacting spirits are used widely in the occult. Although the pointer is often moved intentionally or subconsciously by the players, you are putting yourself in a vulnerable position when using the Board. By 'playing' this 'game', you are showing an interest in spirit contact. If contact is made, it is demons (evil spirits, fallen angels), not the dead, who are responding. If Satan can disguise himself as "an angel of light" (2 Cor. 11:14), then it is not improbable that fallen angels can disguise themselves as the dead. The Ouija Board is not harmless just because it is marketed as a game. Satan, the master of deception and seduction, is good at twisting the truth into lies (Gen. 3:1-6; Jn. 8:44). Satan likes disguises and his lies are often disguised as games. The next time you are tempted to play the Ouija Board as a game, look beyond its disguise and see it for what it really is. Think about this: Just what or who are you trying to contact? God tells us to seek Him instead of the dead (Is. 8:19), and Christ "lives forever to plead with God" on behalf of those who believe Him (Heb. 7:25b). Who wants the Ouija Board when you can know the One Who has "complete authority in heaven and on earth!" (Matt.28:18). If you are wondering about Christ, think on His words in John 5:23b-24, "He who does not honor the Son does not honor the Father , who sent him. I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life."

Asker's Rating & Comment

5 out of 5
I agree with you. I have never played with an Ouija Board before and I don't want to. As far as I am concerned, there has never been any good stories that have come from playing Ouija Boards. Trust me when I say that Ouija Boards contact only demons, not ghost, not angels. Don't play with one.
  • 1
  • Comment

Other Answers (21)

Rated Highest
  • Rated Highest
  • Oldest
  • Newest
  • Faesson answered 7 years ago
    try not to laugh at the answers. try hard. okay, chuckle a little.

OUIJA boards have a cool history... very long, much older than you might guess, but they have been sold as a game for more than a hundred years.

Let's recap.

It's a game. Hundreds of thousands sold. No one has ever 'raised a ghost'. People are still scared of a cardboard square and a pointer.

Cars. Thousands of people die in cars every year. Are you afraid of cars? You should be.

OUIJA boards. A game. Frightened of a game?

Tell you what. Run the OUIJA board over with your car.

Cars are scary. OUIJA boards are not.

Source(s):

• 7
    • Comment
  • Ms. Flawless answered 7 years ago
    I had one when I was younger and it scared the crap out of me....but now that I'm older I think it was all in my mind...don't think I'll try to play with another one anytime soon...but good luck!?!
    • 4
    • Comment
  • Peter D answered 7 years ago
    What happens with a Ouija board is something called the ideomotor effect (see link). Essentially you are moving the planchette subconsciously. I have done this myself when I was younger when the board gave answers only I would know. That means I was responsible for the movement even though I wasn't consciously moving the planchette.

Ouija boards are fun. Play with it, but don't take the results too seriously because it's all in your head. Whatever you do, don't allow yourself to get hysterical as many people on this board seem to be. You will not be summoning evil spirits or opening doors to the underworld. That is all comic book, horror movie nonsense.

The entire experience begins and ends in your head.

Source(s):

• 2
    • Comment
  • st1gma answered 7 years ago
    Okay...I'll admit it...I used to push the planchette when I was younger. I made my friends play with it all the time so I could terrorize them. I practically lived off of scaring the crap out of other kids and creating urban legends. I grew out of it...I SWEAR!!! lol

In my several years of adolescent experience...nothing happens and nothing can hurt you. Then again, we never used the things anywhere with reported paranormal activity, just places I made up stories for.

I suppose one could be used as a divinatory tool, but that would be if you believe in the concept of divination.

I have only ever been intrigued by a Ouija moment once and that was in a place with activity I had witnessed the night prior. I wasn't using it, but two of my friends had regular crayon Ouija poster board sessions.

Meh...play with it...it's not going to hurt you. Just don't do anything stupid like invite something to possess you (on the off-chance that it does something other than sit there and let someone push the planchette around)...I've heard that possession doesn't go so well, but haven't met it in the field (yet?). Hell, even if all of the alleged stories of possession are false, you'd probably deserve it if you did something like that. Gotta learn lessons somehow, right?
    • 4
    • Comment
  • darylsgirl1114 answered 7 years ago
    Absolutely nothing!!
    • 4
    • Comment
  • tickled blue answered 7 years ago
    not much, unless you're cheating.
    • 4
    • Comment
  • heather answered 7 years ago
    Play it and see!!!It could be fun!But be respectful,,you never know,,hehe.Ive played with one and no one ever hurt me.
    • 2
    • Comment
  • Deenie answered 7 years ago
    It seems innocent. If you want to invite "strangers" into your house..and maybe have to deal with them in the future.......
    This is one time I'm for sure going to say..don't listen to the skeptics!! (the ones who say"go ahead") Just because you can't SEE anybody (spirits)..doesn't mean they're not there. And if you DO get a real response..just 'IMAGINE' who could be standing beside you...and going to the bathroom with you and going to bed with you. (and I doubt very much that they will be "guardian angels") I can tell you from my past experiences..I deeply regret doing it.
    EDIT The teacher in me has to tell you this: It's not "an" ouija..it's "a" ouija...BECAUSE it sounds like"Weegee"or "Weeja". OK? (No charge for the English lesson)lol
    • 6
    • Comment
  • Dr NG answered 7 years ago
    Nothing it's just a toy.Thanks for asking though.I love reading how frightened people are of them.It is hilariously entertaining.
    • 5
    • Comment
  • Sign In 

to add your answer

• xoxox answered 7 years ago
    everyone moves it and spells whatever they want lol
    • 3
    • Comment
  • bad guppy answered 7 years ago
    don't even touch one!

Source(s):

they give me the heebie jeebies.
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Life goes on... answered 7 years ago
    Play at your own risk!!

Source(s):

• Rate
    • Comment
  • matttheghosthunter answered 7 years ago
    When you play with Ouija Boards you have to be careful. Please open them the right way and close them the right way. If used the right way can be fun. But if used the wrong way can bring in who knows what. I have taken pictures by Ouija Boards and have had weird picture of funny looking thing come out on my digital camera. There not a good thing to have around. Once you open them you can't close them. They have to be put away in a safe place in a specific way to keep things from continuing to come out of the board.

Source(s):

C.L.F. Ghost Hunters
    • 3
    • Comment
  • betty answered 7 years ago
    I did them when I was young. basically the glass spun on the table on it's own and then flew against a wall. I was scared to death.
    • 3
    • Comment
  • Death Girl Am answered 7 years ago
    you could open a door for evil things I advise against it
    • 3
    • Comment
  • Animal Luvr 4 Life answered 7 years ago
    Expect some weird **** to happen.

I have done that before--it's so weird.
    • 4
    • Comment
  • deeceejay75 answered 7 years ago
    I have heard many stories about them. Man!, I would steer clear of them.
    • 3
    • Comment
  • nuff said answered 7 years ago
    you could be endangering yourself and everyone around you. You may allow a spirit to enter your home and life that is not the best thing for you. Leave ouija boards to the trash dump. Any credible Investigation team will tell you this.
    • 2
    • Comment
  • 867-5309 answered 7 years ago
    anything can happen.
    • 2
    • Comment
  • John S answered 7 years ago
    Their evil man.
    • 1
    • Comment
  • SnowLight answered 7 years ago
    Demons come to play with you...
    • 3
    • Comment

Who is following this question?

%
    BEST ANSWERS
    Member since:
    Points: Points: Level
    Total answers:
    Points this week:
    Follow

Unfollow

Block

Unblock