Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsOther - Science · 1 decade ago

does anyone knows how the red hammer effect works. you are asked questions then you suddenly think about a red

hammer if they ask you to think about a tool and the color of it

Best answer

The version that I've seen doesn't ask associative questions, but just a series of small arithmetic questions (135 + 3).

You are first instructed to answer a series of questions as quickly as you can without thinking about it. Then you are given a series of simple arithmetic questions get you into the mode of doing a simple calculation, accessing that part of your brain. The questions get progressively harder (but still pretty easy), except the last arithmetic question, which is slightly easier, which primes you for answering a question quickly. They also tell you "almost done, just a couple more questions" to get you to anticipate the ending.

Then the payoff question, "Think of a color and a tool." This suddenly causes you to access a different part of your brain that produces random associations, but still answer quickly.

Apparently, when asked to think of a color, most people will say "red" first, and when asked to hink of a tool will think of a "hammer" first. So this trick will elicit "red hammer" more often than any other combination.

The "test" then finishes by telling you that 98% of people will say "red hammer", which is utter B.S. ... and that if you did not, then you are among the special 2% who think differently.

Of course the trick doesn't work if you ever heard of it ... or if anybody calls it the "red hammer" trick. So you should try it on someone cold (avoiding the question "Have you ever heard of the red hammer trick?")

.... but it has gained a certain urban mythology about it.

Source(s): Found a web page that discusses it: http://skeptacles.blogspot.com/2005/08/98-red-hamm...
  • arnone

Red Hammer

• paik

Red Hammer Test

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): red hammer effect works asked questions suddenly red: https://shortly.im/L92HJ

I would think it has to do with the red being a primary color and one most often thought of (red lights) (stop signs) etc. Also, the hammer is probably the most used tool in most households or the first one a child may be told of.

• red is the most obvious color among all the colors that's why it is used as stop ligt and danger signs

Some brain/mind researchers came up with this. Reminds me of a time when this was going around: On one side of a piece of paper is written12345. Ask someone to choose one of the numbers. then turn the paper over where you have written 3. Most all choose 3. The explanation is that people are drawn to the middle number rather than the numbers to the side.

• Jordan

1

Source(s): How Hypnosis Works http://givitry.info/HypnosisCourse/?g8Z7

I said green spade - never thought of red or hammer even after a few moments and my husband said turquoise dril!!

I did say red hammer, but my husband said black hammer.

I want to have the full explanation now. I am passionate of neurophysiology... :(

It works by using associative memory. By progressively asking you to think of very common items, you think of very predictable answers. Then the last things that you thought of will come together.

What color are the little elephants that drunks think of - Pink.

What color are flamingoes - Pink.

What color is a strawberry milkshake - Pink.

Think of marshmallows ... and what color do you thinK ?

This is also a good example why witnesses (and people under hypnosis) may not have a good memory of facts - because questions can "color" their answers.